Sunday 26 June 2011

Blog 2: Blog Harder?

Second blog. Took me a bit longer than I had hoped to get it out but I did it! This week I have been working with Precious and Grace on their debut EP down at our studio at The Depot. 4 days and a load of fun and we managed to get 3 tracks we are all pretty much delighted with down. Mixing it tomorrow so I expect it will be out and about soon! Next week I am working with Sidelock on their next EP (god help me).


The One Man Army....
This week The Michael MacLennan album was mastered by the awesome Stuart Hamilton at Castlesound and it is sounding AMAZING! We are all absolutely delighted with how this one has turned out and can't wait for it to be released.

This record was made by a small team of people (Michael, Craig Ross and myself) over the course of the last 7 months and is a perfect example of what I want to chat about today: Music Production and Collaboration.

For a while I have noticed a pattern develop in what I consider to be my best work directly relates to this style of production. I love working with producers as it allows me to really concentrate on what I am best at. This is not to say I don't produce anything but when I do so in this style of record it is in a co-producer capacity. In essence I look after all the fine details and the producer looks at the whole picture in a wider perspective.

Michael's record has turned out great because of the sum of all the parts, a team who trusted each other without question and a strong drive to make it the best it can be. When I look at some of the other records I have worked on recently that were all done this way (all the records mentioned in the last blog for example) I see a continuation of this pattern.

Everybody's opinion is equal and as a team we bounce ideas off each other and watch ideas drift somewhere we would never have reached on their own. Some of my favourite records go totally against this train of thought and are outstanding so I am not saying this is the only way but, for me, it is the most fun way to make a record.

What do you think? 


Techy Geek Corner.... Holiday Time!
I just booked my first real holiday in years for September! Check this out:




This place has all the usual facilities one would want on holiday. Swimming pool, good food, nice walks, 72 channel Neve 88r Console etc....


More about this in the next blog. ;)


Over and out.


Garry Boyle - CP Productions

2 comments:

  1. The photo of your 'Holiday' destination looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the whole point of a holiday to get away from it all Mr. Boyle? I think you might be addicted to work...

    Looking forward to hearing the P&G stuff; we've gigged with them lots and they've always been thoroughly nice boys

    ReplyDelete